1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/3 Cup Buckwheat Flour
4 Teaspoons Sugar
1 1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
1/4 Teaspoon Salt (generous)
1 Cup Whole Milk
3 Tablespoons Butter, cut into cubes
2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Place milk and butter in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts and thermometer registers 110°F (if mixture gets too warm, cool until temperature returns to 110°F). Pour warm milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Cover with a silicone lid and let stand in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Whisk buckwheat batter to deflate; then whisk in eggs.
[Do ahead Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Transfer to large bowl. Cover; chill (may increase in volume; rewhisk before using).]
- Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Brush lightly with melted butter. Working in batches, pour 2 teaspoons batter for each blini onto griddle, spacing apart. Cook until bubbles form on top and begin to pop, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn blinis; cook until golden brown on bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Tent with foil and place in oven to keep warm while cooking remaining blinis.
[Do ahead: Blinis can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Brush blinis lightly with melted butter and rewarm on baking sheet covered loosely with foil in 350°F oven 5 minutes.]
- Arrange warm blinis on platter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -