4 Ounces Rice Stick Noodles
6 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Thai Chile Peppers (or jalapeños) (plus slices for garnish) seeded and finely chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon grated Ginger
2 Teaspoons grated Lemon Zest
1 Teaspoon grated Lime Zest
1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon or Lime Juice
4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce, divided
1/2 Pound Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
2 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast Halves, cut into 2 1/2-inch-long by 1/4-inch-wide strips, or leftover cooked chicken
1 Cup Light Coconut Milk
2 Cups Baby Spinach
2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro (plus sprigs for garnish)
- Place noodles in a bowl; add enough warm water to cover with a CHarles Viancin silicone lid and let sit until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Combine broth, pepper, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, lime zest, lemon juice and 3 tablespoon fish sauce in a medium saucepan. Season with salt.
- Bring to a simmer, add noodles and cook 3 minutes more. Using tongs, transfer noodles to a bowl and cover with a Charles Viancin siliocne lid to keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to broth; season with salt, if desired; simmer 3 minutes more. Add chicken and coconut milk and simmer, stirring, until chicken is just cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add chopped cilantro and season with remaining 1 tablespoon fish sauce.
- Using tongs, divide noodles among 4 bowls. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of pepper.
For a little added crunch, add sliced rounds of jicama as described in this Cool Tip
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -