There are certain times when you really need a double boiler--any time when what you’re cooking is too delicate for direct heat. Melting chocolate or butter are only two examples; my super easy zabaglione from my single days (for each person use 1 egg yolk, ½ egg shell full of sugar, and ½ egg shell full of marsala, and whisk for a long time--until doubled in volume--in a double boiler over simmering water; serve over fresh strawberries) is another.
The function of a double boiler is necessary in any well-equipped kitchen, but the downsides are that it takes up a lot of space, it can be used only on a cooktop and the shape usually makes it difficult to get all of whatever you’re cooking in it, out of it … even with the best spatula skills. Well, not anymore….
Charles Viancin, one of our favorite creative product designers, has re-thought the double boiler. He’s made it from his favorite material: silicone. This has several advantages: 1) it’s flexible and can be rolled up and stashed away in very little space when it’s not in use; 2) it can be used on the cooktop, or in the microwave, or in the oven--it’s a versatile little guy; and 3) because of the smooth rounded shape and slick interior, it releases all its contents easily, so that there’s no waste.
This has become our go-to vessel for melting butter or chocolate in the microwave, as well as for many other uses. Another Cool Tool from Charles Viancin!
- BPA-Free food grade silicone
- Flexible handles on the top
- 7"/18cm diameter, 3"/7.6cm tall
- Microwave, Oven and dishwasher safe
- Rolls up for easy storage
- Use for steaming, reheating and as a double boiler
- Charles Viancin Banana Leaf Silicone LidsAs low as $15.99
- Charles Viancin Grape Silicone LidsAs low as $9.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone LidsAs low as $8.99
- Charles Viancin Winterberry and Poinsettia Silicone...As low as $9.99
- Charles Viancin Cabbage ColanderAs low as $11.99
- Charles Viancin Fruit Stand Silicone LidsAs low as $8.99