Anyone who knows us, knows that we love salt...I mean, we really love salt. We offer 4 kinds of salt when we have company over for dinner (not sure we can distinguish all their nuances, but they look great!), we carry our own salt with us when we go out (the little tubes that eye liner refills come in work perfectly): sea salt for general use, chipotle salt to spice up dishes, and truffle salt for popcorn at the movies.
If we’re that particular about our salt, just think how particular we are about salt mills. And as you’ve probably already noticed, I’m a little lazy, so if a tool can do the work for me, I let it--so I wanted an electric salt mill. BTW, it can be used for pepper, too.
Salt mills are a tricky business: salt is corrosive, so you need a ceramic grinding mechanism to stand up to salt and not deteriorate over time. But we add an extra twist, because our favorite every day salt is sel gris, the gray sea salt from Brittany, which has a wonderful slightly briny taste, but also is a little damp and, therefore, an extra challenge for a salt mill. Many salt mills do fine with very dry salt, but it takes a champion salt mill to handle damp sea salt. Well, the folks at Good Cooking make a champion salt mill, with a comfortable neoprene-like finish to make it easier to grip; and the best news is … they sell it as a pair at a very reasonable price.
These mills have a durable ceramic mechanism that easily grinds pepper corns, sea salt and spices (so you may want more than one set). They season accurately with an adjustable grind, and have a built-in light for precise seasoning: exactly where you want it. And on top of all that, they are super easy to refill. In short, this is a very Cool Tool.
- Set of 2
- 8 ½” tall X 2” in diameter
- Black rubberized exterior
- Uses 6 AA batteries, included
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 1 year
- Vineyard Table Serving PiecesAs low as $14.30
- Cuisipro Silicone Wok Turner$11.99
- KMN Home Fingermitt$14.99
- Charles Viancin Citrus Silicone LidsAs low as $9.99
- Sirius Chef Muffin Splitter$16.98
- Cuisipro Silicone Ladle$11.99
- Colbrook Kitchen QuickMix Mixing Jar (Egg, corn starch...As low as $12.50
- Tovolo Seal 'N Store Storage$15.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$11.99
- HeatTHAT! Serving PiecesAs low as $39.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- Cuisipro Fish Tongs$19.99