Man v. Machine
Kennedy has often stated that all you need in the kitchen is a good knife (which begs the question of why we got into this business in the first place, but that's another story). I, on the other hand, think that the right tool makes you more efficient, saves you time, provides better results, and makes you far more attractive (really, when you're happy and not frustrated, you look better.) So we decided to put our respective theories to the test: Pico de Gallo.
Here's the playing field...
10 tomatoes, 3 chilis, ¼ red onion, ½ lime, and a small handful of cilentro each, Kennedy with a knife, and me with my game-changing tool, the Norpro Big Mouth Chopper.
Kennedy used his best knife skills to dice the ingredients to as even a size as he could manage:
I cut my pieces enough to fit in the chopper, then you just bring down the lid--it works pretty easily, but you can also slap it down with a satisfying "Thwack!"
The result was that I finished in just over 4 minutes (4:18), while Kennedy took almost half again as much time (6:23), and, while Kennedy's version on the left is a very nice pico de gallo, mine is more uniform with less time and less work.
Bottomline: This Cool Tool has saved time, produced better results, and a knife just can't duplicate that great "Thwack!" I used this chopper on all sorts of firm produce this summer, with great results every time.
Need a replacement for the large dice blade, here it is!
- Holds 6 cups/48oz.
- 3 interchangeable cutting grids allow you to cut food into slices or 2 different dice sizes of 6mm and 9mm cubes.
- Sturdy construction and stainless steel blades.
- Two cleaning combs and storing lid included.
- All pieces store in base.
- Hand washing recommended.
- Carré Olive Wood SpoonsAs low as $15.00
- Chef'n Corn Stripper$7.99
- Fox Run Brands Corn Crib$14.99
- Evo Oil or Vinegar SprayerAs low as $19.99
- Progressive Produce ProKeepersAs low as $9.99
- Kyocera Advanced Ceramic KnivesAs low as $19.95
- Progressive Zip Slicer$9.99
- Tovolo Blender ScraperAs low as $8.99
- Progressive Microwave Grill$12.60
- Lékué Steam CaseAs low as $25.99
- Tovolo Citrus Reamer$9.99
- Kyocera Hand-held Ceramic SlicersAs low as $5.00
- Norpro Avocado Slicer$12.98
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- Nuance Silicone BrushSpecial Price $10.00 Regular Price $19.95
- Gefu "Tari" Mushroom / Strawberry / Egg, etc...Special Price $39.99 Regular Price $44.99