Although I love my Big Mouth Chopper (you may remember that I beat Kennedy in our pico-de-gallo-off), I still need to pull out a knife and cutting board on a daily basis. I’ve tried a lot of cutting boards, from the flexible plastic ones (that tend to develop a permanent curl after a few months of washing in the dishwasher and won’t lie flat) to the big wooden boards that I like to use when I’m feeling particularly “chef-y” or need some good arm exercise from hauling them out.
What I look for in an everyday cutting board is something that’s
- big enough that the cut food doesn’t fall off,
- sturdy enough that it doesn’t curl or move when I’m cutting,
- durable enough that cutting on it won’t gouge it to shreds,
- light enough that getting it out or moving it isn’t exercise, and
- dishwasher safe, so that I’m sure it’s clean the next time I use it.
The ones I found that meet all these criteria are the Norpro polypropylene cutting boards. At 12”X16”, the large size can handle just about any job. And at 10" X 12", the medium size is the one we reach for on a daily basis. Both have rubberized corners that keep them from skidding. They're made of polypropylene, which Alton Brown blesses as "heat-, odor-, and stain-resistant; they never warp or crack; they don't absorb moisture; and they can be washed in the dishwasher" They're light and easy to grab, and they fit perfectly in the side of our dishwasher, so clean-up is dead easy.
- Non-skid santoprene corners hold board in place.
- Grooved on one side to catch juices and smooth on the other.
- Large: 12" x 16" / 30.5cm x 40.5cm
- Medium: 10" x 12" / 25.4cm x 30.5cm
- Made of Polypropylene
- Dishwasher safe.
- NSF approved.