OXO Food Scale
Precision in cooking may not be as important as it is in baking, but when no two potatoes or carrots or apples are the same size, weighing your ingredients can really help make sure that your dish turns out the way you want it to, with the ingredients in the right proportions. And for baking, it's essential (see our Cool Tip "For the Cookie Monster in all of us: Weigh Your Way to Baking Success!"
That’s why a food scale is one of the essential tools in our culinary battery. And, after much experimentation, the one we like best is the OXO Food Scale.
First, it looks good (great design)! Stainless steel, black and sleek clean lines make this a great addition to any kitchen from a visual stand point. And its slim design makes it easy to store when you don’t want to look at it. While this is a necessary attribute, it’s almost never a sufficient one! In this case it doesn’t have to be.
This scale has great functionality--it handles loads up to 11 pounds for the smaller one and 22 pounds for the larger one (more than many similar models), it weighs in both ounces and pounds (US) and grams (metric), it has a zero (tar) function that eliminates the weight of the container you use to hold the food you’re weighing, so you get only the weight of the food, and it has a pull-out weight display, so that even if your container is large, you don’t have to stoop and bend to see the weight display. In addition to all of that, the platform (which always seems to get messy, no matter how careful you try to be) can be easily removed and hand washed, making clean-up so much easier.
We probably use this scale 4-5 times a week, and we’re always delighted when we use it--it’s one of the Cool Tools that is a pleasure to use.
- Two sizes: 11-lb and 22-lb capacity
- Measures in ounces, metric, fluid ounces and fluid milliters
- Display pulls away from base to prevent shadowing from large plates or bowls
- Convenient indicator displays how much capacity is left on the Scale
- Zero function allows for zeroing Scale before adding additional ingredients
- Optional backlight makes display easier to read
- Measures in 1/8-oz (US) and 1-g (metric) increments for greater accuracy
- Easy-to-read, large display numbers
- Platform can be removed and washed by hand only
- Thin profile allows for easy storage
- 4 AAA batteries included
- Dimensions: 11-lb: 7.25'' x 9.5'' x 1.25'' 22-lb: 8.5" x 11" x 1.5"