OXO V-Blade Mandoline Slicer
A mandoline is both awesome and scary. Awesome, because it really can do things a knife can’t (at least not when wielded by a mere amateur), like julienning a couple of pounds of anything, or cutting lots of thin, identical slices. And quickly. But scary also, because that’s a very sharp blade that you’re getting very close to your fingers. And you’re moving fast. Our first mandoline sat in the drawer for years, while we were too intimidated to use its power.
But when Zucchetti alla Colbrook, which uses a lot of julienned zucchini, became a regular addition to our entertaining menu, we figured we’d better develop a relationship with a mandoline.
Note: While a hand guard is included with the V-Blade, we've never found those as well designed as the main product. (On Alton Brown’s “Good Eats”, Safety Officer Sam pointed out that the hand guards are probably the last item on the design list.) We found that using a Kevlar® glove with the mandoline has given us a whole new sense of confidence. Because we want you to have that same feeling of confidence when you use your Mandoline, if you buy the Kevlar® glove with your Mandoline, you can get it for just $5 more (a $9 value).
We tested a lot of them, from high-end French models, to more humble hand-helds. The one that came through with flying colors is the Oxo V-Blade Mandoline Slicer. Because of the v-shape, it cuts with very little resistance, it’s compact with the blades stored underneath, it can julienne, cut french fries, slice at a wide variety of thicknesses, and cleans up very easily. See the video below that provides a pretty good rundown of the features of the V-Blade, which include:
- Sharp, V-shaped blade of hardened stainless steel easily slices both firm vegetables like potatoes and soft fruits like tomatoes
- Straight and wavy blades for straight or crinkle cuts
- Four easily adjustable slice thickness settings: 1.5mm, 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm
- Julienne blades for French fries or fine julienne strips (which is what we use for Zucchetti alla Colbrook)
- Straight, wavy and julienne blades conveniently store on board and remove for cleaning
- Soft handle and turning knob for comfort and non-slip feet for safety
- Textured runway keeps food from sticking
- Mandoline locks closed and feet fold in for safe and compact storage
- Hand wash blades. Mandoline body and food holder are dishwasher safe
- Kevlar Glove:
- Single glove can be worn on the right or left hand.
- Launderable with slight loss in cut resistance. Cannot be washed/disinfected with bleach
- 7-Gauge, 100% Kevlar® Shell for Cut/Slash Resistance
- Kevlar® yarn will not ignite or melt
- Comfortable, Form-Fitting, Breathable
- Rated as ASTM CPPT Cut Level 3 1118 grams