3 Cups Sifted Cake Flour, measure after sifting
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, softened
2 Cups Sugar
3 Large Eggs, at room temperature
1 Cup Plain Non-fat Greek Yogurt
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Finely Grated Zest of 2 Scrubbed Organic Lemons
Finely Grated Zest of 2 Scrubbed Organic Oranges
Finely Grated Zest of 1 Scrubbed Organic Grapefruit
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Fresh Orange Juice
Citrus Glaze and Candied Zest (see link at left)
- In a large bowl, whisk the cake flour with the baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between additions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the vanilla and citrus zests and juices. At low speed, beat the dry ingredients into the batter in 3 batches, alternating with the yogurt mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack.
- Turn the hot cake right side up and prick all over with a fork. Brush with the Citrus Glaze. Scatter the 2T of candied zest (from the glaze) on top of the cake and let cool completely. Slice the cake and serve the remaining candied zest alongside.
- MAKE AHEAD: The cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
The cake must be glazed while it is still hot, so be sure to make the glaze while the cake is baking.
A couple of ideas:
- Add more yogurt to make the cake moister;
- make in a tarte pan to have cake absorb more of the glaze;
- use a ladle to spread the glaze on the cake.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -