Have you ever used half of something: half a lemon, half an onion, etc. and then tried to store the other half, only to have it turn slimy and disgusting in no time at all? Well, I have… and it’s no fun! I’ve tried all sorts of ways of storing the other half: from using plastic wrap, to plastic bags, to storage containers, only to be disappointed in the results.
The issue is air. On one hand, air is the enemy that makes the ‘cut end’ go bad faster, but on the other hand, it’s an important ally: if you don’t let air “breathe” into your container, then excess moisture will accumulate and speed up rot. This is especially true in a firmly sealed container, where fruits and vegetables rot faster. So how do you protect the cut end from oxidation (too much air) while allowing the outside to breathe and dissipate excess moisture (get more air)? We found a Cool Tool that helps solve this dichotomy!
The clever folks at Tovolo came up with a set of storage solutions in 3 sizes: Seal ‘n Store. Each size comes in 2 pieces: a BPA-free plastic base and a silicone web top that snaps into the base. The genius of this is that the silicone web stretches to hold the cut side tightly against the base, in order to minimize the air that gets to the cut side, but the silicone is a web that allows air to circulate so that moisture doesn’t build up. Then they come apart for easy dishwasher cleanup.
In actual use, these have extended the lives of countless half lemons, limes, and oranges in our refrigerator, making this one of our favorite new Cool Tools!
- Set of 3 sizes: 6.25”/16cm, 5”/13cm, 3.5”/9cm diameter
- Plastic and Silicone
- Dishwasher safe
- Cuisipro Fish Tongs$19.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Wok Turner$11.99
- HeatTHAT! Serving PiecesAs low as $39.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$11.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- Sirius Chef Muffin Splitter$16.98
- Colbrook Kitchen QuickMix Mixing Jar (Egg, corn starch...As low as $12.50
- KMN Home Fingermitt$14.99
- Charles Viancin Citrus Silicone LidsAs low as $9.99
- Vineyard Table Serving PiecesAs low as $14.30
- Cuisipro Silicone Ladle$11.99