Every meat person knows that the elusive and ultimate expression of the art of cooking meat is a beautiful seared crust. Here are a few tips on how to achieve it:
- Dry the meat thoroughly with paper towels
- Rub the meat with vegetable oil (but don't put any oil lin the pan)
- Salt the meat well (but no pepper--save that for later
- Give the meat plenty of room in the pan--if you crowd the meat, it will be more like steaming than searing
- Once you add the meat to the pan, let it be--this may be the hardest part, because there is such a tempatation to fiddle with it--DON'T. This will let the crust form.
- Never use a fork--use a pair of tongs--a fork will release juice and there goes your tender meat.