The Essential Kitchen
We thought it might be helpful to group our Cool Tools in categories that reflect their role in the meal creation process. So here is our attempt to be helpful:
- Prep: These are the tools that are your workhorses, and the ones that most take the place of a sous-chef. These Cool Tools help you prepare your ingredients to be cooked. In finding Cool Tools for food prep, functionality, time saving and ease of use are the most important things we look for. Each and every one of these does its job particularly well and takes your food prep from drudgery to fun (well, almost!) When we finally carry knives, they will fit in this section.
- Cooking: These are the Cool Tools that you actually use during the cooking process; that means they have to be easy to use, handy to pick up, and work well without thinking about it, because your focus should be on the food--these Cool Tools take a supporting role.
- Serving: These are the Cool Tools that take your meal from the kitchen to the table, and make it easy and beautiful to serve your food.
- Entertaining: These are all the Cool Tools that are part of your entertaining repertoire and make the event easy for you and memorable for your guests.
- Storage: When the meal is over, what do you do with all those leftover bits? These Cool Tools will help.
- Miscellaneous: These are some more Cool Tools that we love, but they didn't fit neatly into one of the other categories.
View as List Grid
Items 1-10 of 134
- Olipac Stainless Steel Olive Oil DecantersWhy It's Cool: Strikingly beautiful olive oil decanters for kitchen or dining tableWe always look for kitchen tools that are high design, high functionality, but sometimes we see something that blows us away. When we were walking the show in Chicago last month,...fusionbrands Silicone WaveSpongefusionbrands Thumb Scraper (Pack of 2)Why It's Cool: Scrapes off the stuff you want to get rid of while saving your nails and the surface you're scraping.One of life’s minor but irritating problems is removing things that are stuck on, off. Like labels or price stickers on new purchases, or those pesky plastic safety seal...Gefu Flexicut Vegetable Splitter (Cutter)Why It's Cool: Easily cuts round things (fruits or vegetables) into quarters or eigths, without risk to life or limbOne of the most difficult categories of things to cut a lot of are round things. Think about it: Brussels sprouts, carrots, small potatoes, cherry tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers,...Tovolo Flipping Flex TurnerWhy It's Cool: Thin nylon blade, comfortable offset handle and high heat resistance make this the perfect Cool Tool for your nonstick saute panMost of us have some “nonstick” pans that we love because they’re convenient to use and easy to cleanup. And while there are a variety of coatings to choose from, all...Tovolo Olive Wood ToolsWhy It's Cool: Beautiful natural wood tools that won't scratch your pots and pans in useful shapes with comfotable handlesThe natural beauty of olive wood tools just make you feel good using them in the kitchen--it’s a back-to-nature kind of thing. And they’re also good for your pots and pans and...Progressive Cut Resistant GloveOXO Pizza CutterWhy It's Cool: A more natural way to cut pizza (the leverage is from above); the blade is deep enough to cut through even a fluffy frittata and is covered for safe storage in your drawer.We love pizza...who doesn't? But cutting pizza is always an issue. Knives don't do all that good a job; and the traditional pizza cutters just seem to have really weird...fusionbrands ButterEasyfusionbrands Mushroom (and other vegetables) ClothWhy It's Cool: Bacteria resistant Silicone cleans tender mushrooms and tougher vegetables and citrus like a champ!So we’ve always been cautioned about not putting mushrooms under running water...they soak it up like crazy and then don’t really brown nicely because they’re water logged....