This is an earthy fall favorite that just makes you feel cozy inside.
2 Cups Warm Water
3/4 Ounce Dried Porcini Mushroom
4 Tablespoons Butter
7 Ounces Onions, Chopped (~ 1 cup)
6 Ounces Peeled Carrots, Chopped (~ 1 cup)
4 Ounces Cleaned Leeks, white and pale green parts only, Chopped (~ 1/2 cup)
22 Ounces Crimini Mushrooms or Shiitake Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 Cup Brandy
4 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
1 Kafir Lime Leaf
1/2 Cup Whipping Cream
3/4 Cup Fat-free Half and Half
1/2 Teaspoon Yuzu Juice
Salt and White Pepper, to taste
Snipped Fresh Chives
- Combine 2 cups warm water and dried porcini mushrooms in small bowl. Let mushrooms soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove mushrooms from liquid. Squeeze excess liquid from mushrooms back into bowl. Strain 1 cup soaking liquid into another small bowl, leaving any sediment behind. Rinse porcini mushrooms to remove any sediment that may have stayed with them.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and leek. Sauté until vegetables are tender and pale golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and fresh mushrooms; sauté until mushrooms are tender and brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in porcini and brandy. Cook until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups stock, thyme, bay leaf and 1 1/2 cups reserved porcini soaking liquid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Discard kafir lime leaf. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender or use immersion blender. Return soup to pot. Mix in cream and yuzu juice. Bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving, thinning with more stock, if desired.)
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Swirl in a dollop of crème fraîche and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- Final Touch Fill & Store$10.99
- Carré Olive Wood SpoonsAs low as $15.00
- Progressive Produce ProKeepersAs low as $9.99
- Gefu "Tari" Mushroom / Strawberry / Egg, etc...Special Price $39.99 Regular Price $44.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Glass Covers (XSmall Lids...As low as $9.99
- RSVP Onion Goggles$19.99
- Trudeau Graviti +Plus Salt or Pepper MillSpecial Price $39.99 Regular Price $49.99
- Joseph Joseph TriScale$29.99
- fusionbrands Mushroom (and other vegetables) ClothAs low as $4.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Ladle$11.99