18 Spears Fresh Asparagus
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
15 Ounces Crème Fraiche
1 Pound Frozen Green Peas
Chicken Broth (or GInger Miso broth for vegetarians)
2 Tablespoons Chopped Onion
1/8 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- Trim off woody ends of asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes in the Lékué Steam Case with 1 teaspoon of water or saturate 4 paper towels with 1/2 C water. Lay asparagus on the paper towels in a single layer. Roll up the paper towel and aspagus and put in microwave, seam down. Microwave on high for 2-4 minutes (depending on your microwave oven) until tender. Cut off tips and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 1T butter and brush evenly over insides and bottom of 6 2.5" X 2.5" Mastrad EZ Form Short Molds.
- Place asparagus, eggs, 7.5 oz crème fraiche and salt and pepper in a food processor and process to a smooth, creamy consistency. Strain through a food mill.
- Place the molds in a pan filled with enough water to come about halfway up the sides of the molds. Divide asparagus mixture among the buttered molds. Put lids on the molds and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cook peas for 3 mins. in boiling salted water. Rinse in cold water and drain thoroughly. (If using frozen peas, just thaw and drain thoroughly.) Blend peas and enough broth to homogenize. Strain to remove skins (The food mill works great for this, too).
- Do Ahead: You can do everything ahead to this point and then refrigerate flans and peas.
- 20 minutes before serving, place flans in bain-marie and set over low heat to warm for 15 mins.
- Melt 1T butter and saute onions briefly. Sprinkle with a pinch of curry powder, add remaining creme fraiche, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Process this mixture and peas into a thoroughly homogenous sauce. Add broth if too thick. Adjust seasoning if necessary. (You may add truffle oil or cumin, or ??? to this mixture, as desired; explore!)
- Reheat asparagus tips in a saucepan with a little salted water. Drain well.
- Assembly: Cover bottom of 6 salad plates with the pea sauce. Unmold the flans and place one in the center of each plate. Garnish each flan with 3 asparagus tips.
We made this wonderful dish a few years ago, and the only real complicating factor was that we used a silicone muffin placque and had to unmold the flans all at once and then move them to each dish. With the Mastrad Easy Form Molds, not only will they release better because the bottoms remove, but they release one at a time, right onto the plate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -