Caipirinha is the national drink of Brazil, and it's a delicious and appropriate drink to enjoy while watching the 2016 Olympics in Rio. Check out this Cool Tip to learn more about Caipirinha and it's history.
1 lime quartered (plus optional seasonal fruit)
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 ounces Brazilian Cachaça
- Place the lime wedges, (optional seasonal fruit) and sugar into an old-fashioned glass.
- Muddle well.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes.
- Pour in the cachaca.
- Stir well.
Here are some really helpful tips from caipirinharecipes.com:
- Always remove the ends of the lime; they have a bitter taste.
- Split the lime in quarters and cut out the middle pith from all pieces. They also contribute to the bitterness.
- Always muddle the lime with sugar. The abrasive sugar crystals will contribute to the grinding effect on the lime.
- Don’t muddle the lime too hard. Squeezing too much will also make the drink too bitter.
- Muddle the limes face down (peel side facing up).