Note: This is the best "lamb stew" we've ever had. A beautiful spring dish.
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoons Butter
4 1/2 Pounds Boneless Leg of Lamb, fat trimmed, cut into 1" cubes
1/2 Cup Cognac
2 Tablespoons Potato Starch
14 1/2 Fluid Ounces Beef Broth
1/4 Cup Sherry Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Red Currant Jelly
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 Cups Red Wine
1 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
8 Small Carrots, sliced in 1" lengths on oblique
10 Cloves Garlic, large, peeled, and crushed
10 Inch Fresh Rosemary, leaves stripped from branch
8 Inch Fresh Thyme, leaves stripped from branches
1 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoons White Pepper
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
24 Medium-sized Pearl Onions, trimmed and peeled
3/4 Pound Snow Peas, trimmed
- In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil and butter. Over medium heat, brown lamb, a few pieces at a time. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a deep ovenproof casserole.
- When all lamb is browned, turn off heat under skillet. Drain oil and return all the lamb to skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat cognac in a small saucepan. Set skillet with lamb over low heat and pour in cognac. Ignite cognac with a match and let it flame for 30 seconds.
- Turn off heat. With a slotted spoon return meat to the casserole.
- Mix potato starch with 1/2 cup beef broth, before adding to the skillet.
- Add potato starch mixture, vinegar, currant jelly, tomato paste, rest of beef broth, and red wine to the skillet to make a sauce and stir well.
- Set over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, peppers, and lime leaves to the casserole.
- Pour sauce over all, stir well and cover.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, uncovering casserole for last 15 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pearl onions in the water in a sieve (for easy removal without dumping the water) for ~10 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and reserve.
- Drop snow peas in water and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and plunge into ice water. Let stand 'til cool, drain, pat dry, and reserve.
- Toss stew with snow peas and pearl onions and serve immediately
- Trudeau Graviti +Plus Salt or Pepper MillSpecial Price $39.99 Regular Price $49.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- Progressive Produce ProKeepersAs low as $9.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Ladle$11.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99
- KMN Home Fingermitt$14.99
- Stainless Steel Serving TongsAs low as $14.99
- blomus "Knik" Trivet$13.99
- Charles Viancin All Silicone Cutting BoardsAs low as $24.99
- RSVP Garlic Cube$15.99
- Rösle One-handed Locking TongsAs low as $31.99
- AdHoc DuoMill Pure$49.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$11.99
- Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker$14.99
- Tovolo Precision Cutting Guide MatsAs low as $7.00
- Carré Salt KeepersAs low as $24.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- Norpro Polypropylene Cutting BoardsAs low as $9.99
- RSVP Endurance Oil Decanter$29.99