If you love poached eggs, but are watching your carb intake, this is a great alternative for a dressy poached egg breakfast.
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/8 Cup Chopped Fresh Chives
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
1/8 Teaspoon Finely Grated Lemon Zest
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Eggs and the Rest
4 Slices Prosciutto
2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
8 Asparagus Spears, trimmed
- Blend extra-virgin olive oil, chives, and lemon juice in blender or processor until smooth. Stir in grated lemon peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Chive oil can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Return to room temperature before using.
- Cook proscuitto in microwave until crisp (~ 2 minutes)
- Pour enough water into a large skillets to reach depth of 2 inches. Bring water to slow simmer over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons vinegar. Rub a little oil into each eagg poacher. Carefully crack each egg into an oiled egg poacher. Gently place 1 egg poacher at a time into simmering water. Cook until whites are just set, about 3 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, microwave the asparagus in a Steamcase for 1 minute. Divide asparagus between plates and place 2 prosciutto slices over each portion.
- Place 2 eggs atop each serving of asparagus and prosciutto. Drizzle chive oil over and around each serving. Pass remaining chive oil separately.
The chive oil would also be delicious drizzled over salmon or chicken.