This version of Potato Latkes is our benchmark for how they should be done. We are just lucky enough to have a friend like Shelley who invites us over for them every year!
6 Russet (baking) Potatoes (about 2 1/2 Pounds)
1 Onion, quartered
1 Teaspoon White-wine Vinegar
1 1/2 Teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
6 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs, beaten
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Crumbled Sage
1/4 Cup Minced Fresh Parsley Leaves
Vegetable Oil for Frying
Applesauce and/or Sour Cream as accompaniments
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into chunks, and grate in a food processor.
- Puree the onion, vinegar, and salt and mix with the potatoes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large fine sieve set over a bowl and weight it with a plate and a 5-pound can to extract the liquid for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour off the liquid in the bowl, leaving the potato starch in the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the mixture to the bowl with the flour, eggs, sage, parsley, and pepper to taste.
- Combine the mixture well, being sure to scrape up and blend in the starch from the bottom of the bowl.
- Return the mixture to the sieve and set it over the bowl to drain off any excess liquid (at least 15 minutes).
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 inch of the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Drop the mixture by heaping tablespoons in batches, patting the mounds into thin pancakes with the back of the spoon, and fry the latkes for 2 minutes on each side, or until they are browned and crisp.
- Transfer the latkes as they are cooked to paper towels to drain, and keep them warm on a rack in a preheated 200° F. oven.
- Serve the latkes with the applesauce and/or the sour cream.
- Norpro Aerator Whisk$8.49
- AdHoc DuoMill Pure$49.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99
- Stainless Steel Serving TongsAs low as $14.99
- Joseph Joseph TriScale$29.99
- Trudeau Professional Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper...As low as $39.93
- Gefu “Aromatico” Spice Mill$49.99
- Cuisipro PeelersAs low as $17.99
- Trudeau Mixing Bowls$29.99
- Carré Olive Wood SpoonsAs low as $15.00
- Trudeau Graviti +Plus Salt or Pepper MillSpecial Price $39.99 Regular Price $49.99
- Brabantia Wok Turner$18.00
- Colbrook Kitchen QuickMix Mixing Jar (Egg, corn starch...As low as $12.50