This is a different twist on the chilled cucumber yogurt soup, with a greater depth of flavor.
1 Can Chicken Broth
2 Red Thai Chilis, cut in half lengthwise
3 Kafir Lime Leaves
1 Inch Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped
1 Medium Onion, peeled and chopped with the Cubico
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped with the Cubico
1 Inch Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped with the Cubico
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Pound Cucumbers, peeled
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Cup Canned Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Mint Leaves
1/2 Teaspoon Sambal or Tabasco
1/2 Lime, juiced
1/2 Teaspoon Yuzu Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Nam Pla (Thai Fish Sauce)
Cilantro, minced for garnish
- Add chilis, kafir lime leaves and ginger to the broth in a small pan. Bring to a boil, cover and let steep for 1 hour. Remove lid and reduce to 1 1/4 cups. Strain.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat; when hot, add onions and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the cucumbers legthwise in half, scoop out the seeds and cut cucumbers into 2" chunks.
- Add the cucumbers, salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the mint, hot sauce, lime, yuzu and nam pla. Remove from heat.
- Put the mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning if desired. Chill.
- Serve garnished with cilantro.
- Cuisipro Silicone Ladle$11.99
- Formaticum Cheese Wraps$8.95
- Cuisipro PeelersAs low as $17.99
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- Kyocera Perfect Peeler$14.95
- KitchenIQ Ginger Tool$19.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Glass Covers (XSmall Lids...As low as $9.99
- Cuisipro V-GratersAs low as $27.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- RSVP Garlic Cube$15.99