Phase 3 Lunch or DInner Appetizer: Zucchini Noodles with a Perfect Egg Yolk
This is an easy recipe that just takes some planning... and the results make you look like a 3-star chef!
2 Egg Yolks
Sea Salt, to taste
To make the perfect egg yolk:
- Slip your egg yolks in neutral oil to cover in a flat-bottomed heat-proof covered container.
- Put the container in a 144°F water bath so that the water comes up the sides to the height of the egg yolks (you will probably have to weight down the container--a fishing weight or other small heavy weight works really well.
- Cook the egg yolks for one hour.
- Remove the container from the water bath and let cool for about 20 minutes, then refrigerate over night. (I've kept this in the refrigerator for over a week, and it worked perfectly and had just the right texture).
- When ready to use, place in a 140°F water bath for about 15 minutes to heat through.
To make the zuccini noodles:
- Use the Spirelli or Spiralfix to cut the zucchini into noodle strands.
- Put the zucchini noodles and a little sea salt in the Steam Case and microwave for 1 minute.
- Put the noodles in a shallow bowl or plate and top gently with an egg yolk.
The egg yolk seems to have a better texture and consistency if it rests overnight in the oil.