You can slice all of these onions without the Onion Goggles ... but why would you want to?
4 Slices Lean Bacon, cut in 1" pieces
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Pound Lean Stew Meat, sliced 1/2" thick
8 Cups Sliced Onion
3 Tablespoons Dry Sherry
4 Cups Beef Broth
4 Cups Chicken Broth
4 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
1 Kafir Lime Leaf
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Swiss Cheese Flan
- Saute bacon in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Remove bacon fat and set aside.
- Melt butter with oil in the pot and saute garlic until crisp.
- Add beef and saute over high heat, browning on all sides.
- Remove beef and garlic with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Drain off liquid into a fat separator and set aside to separate.
- Put 2T of reserved bacon fat back in pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until caramelized, about 20 minutes.Stir occasionally to break up the clumps of onions
- Add Sherry; cook 30 seconds to deglaze the pot.
- Add bacon, beef, beef juice, stock, thyme, and kaffir lime leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme and leaf to serve. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)
- Put one flan in center of each soup bowl.
- Ladle soup around flans and serve.
- RSVP Garlic Cube$15.99
- RSVP Endurance Oil Decanter$29.99
- Capabunga Cheese VaultAs low as $29.99
- Norpro Krona Multi PotAs low as $44.99
- Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker$14.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Ladle$11.99
- 112 Brabantia Wok Turner$18.00
- Trudeau Graviti +Plus Salt or Pepper MillSpecial Price $39.99 Regular Price $49.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- OXO Food ScaleAs low as $49.99
- RSVP Onion Goggles$19.99
- Joseph Joseph TriScale$29.99
- Kyocera Advanced Ceramic KnivesAs low as $19.95