The cross-hatching on the meat really lets the flavor of the marinade sink in, and the sauces can both be made in the food processor ... so, with some planning, this is a quick and easy and completely delicious main course.
3 Pounds Flank Steak
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
Coarse kosher salt
1/4 Cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
2 3/4 Cups Thinly Sliced Green Onions (about 6)
12 Ounces Dark Beer (preferably Guinness)
1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
4 Large Jalapeño Chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 Large Green Onions, coarsely chopped
1/3 Cup Sweet Onion, coarsely chopped (such as Maui or Vidalia)
1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice (or more)
3/4 Teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Large Ripe Avocado (12 to 13 ounces) peeled, pitted, coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons Coarsely Chopped Fresh Cilantro
3 Tablespoons Coarsely Chopped Green Onion
2 Tablespoons Chopped Serrano Chiles With Seeds
2 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice (or more)
Coarse Kosher Salt & Pepper
- Using sharp knife, lightly score flank steaks about 1/8 inch deep on both sides in a crisscross pattern at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with oregano and cumin and generous amount of coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over both sides of steaks, rubbing oil and spices into meat. Place meat in a ziplock bag.
- Mix green onions, beer, and Worcestershire sauce, and pour into the ziplock bag with the meat. Chill at least 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
- Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Brush grill rack lightly with oil. Grill steaks to desired doneness, 3 to 4 minutes total per side for medium-rare, turning steaks 1/4 turn after 1 1/2 minutes to form crisscross grill marks, if desired.
- Transfer steaks to cutting board; let rest 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice steaks across grain.
- Transfer to platter and serve with Aji Sauce and Colombian Guacamole.
- Combine jalapeño chiles, green onions, sweet onion, and cilantro in processor; puree until paste forms, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula several times.
- Add 2 tablespoons lime juice and process until mixture is blended but some texture still remains.
- Transfer to small bowl.
- Stir in 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and more lime juice to taste, if desired.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine avocado, cilantro, green onion, and serrano chiles in processor. Puree until smooth. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice and process to blend. Add a little water to avocado mixture by tablespoonfuls, if needed, and blend until thick sauce forms.
- Transfer to small bowl; season to taste with coarse salt and pepper and more lime juice, if desired.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- RSVP Onion Goggles$19.99
- Norpro Polypropylene Cutting BoardsAs low as $9.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone LidsAs low as $8.99
- Vineyard Table Serving PiecesAs low as $14.99
- Carré Olive Wood SpoonsAs low as $15.00
- 417 OXO Herb Saver$14.99
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- fusionbrands HerbZipperAs low as $6.95
- Norpro Avocado Slicer$12.98
- Trudeau Dripless Oil (or Syrup) & Vinegar BottlesAs low as $21.99
- COOKINA BBQ and Oven SheetsAs low as $19.99
- Trudeau Professional Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper...As low as $39.93
- Carré Salt KeepersAs low as $24.99
- Charles Viancin All Silicone Cutting BoardsAs low as $16.99
- Tovolo Flexible Cutting Mats (Set of 4)As low as $9.99