We learned to make this recipe from Chef Steven Tevere, when he was at Meadowood; it's been a summer favorite ever since.
8 Ears Corn
1/2 Onion, coarsely chopped
3 Shallots, coarsely chopped
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
- Strip the kernels off all 8 ears and reserve
- Cut each ear in half, put in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the cobs.
- Sweat the onion and shallots in olive oil until translucent.
- Add to corn water.
- Add corn to corn water, bring to a boil, simmer 45 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Put soup in blender in batches and puree (or use immersion blender).
- Pour through fine sieve, pressing on the solids to release as much liquid as possible into the saucepan. (We use the Gefu Stainer Press, which does a fantastic job).
- Bring soup to boil, add heavy cream and boil 5 minutes more.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkle with chives.
This also may be served chilled, a martini glass is a nice presentation.
- RSVP Endurance Oil Decanter$29.99
- Cooks Innovations SimmerMat$16.95
- Rösle One-handed Locking TongsAs low as $31.99
- Tovolo Blender ScraperAs low as $8.99
- Chef'n Corn Stripper$7.99
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- Norpro Polypropylene Cutting BoardsAs low as $9.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99
- Progressive Produce ProKeepersAs low as $9.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Glass Covers (XSmall Lids...As low as $9.99