Crispy Duck Breast with Pear and Green Peppercorn Sauce
Boneless duck breasts can be a little expensive (although not at Sonoma Artisan Foie Gras), but they make a great special meal, and this recipe is both easy and good.
1 Large Magret (duck Breast), Boneless, excess fat and any silver skin trimmed
Red Wine, Chianti or other full-bodied red
3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Bosc Pears, peeled and cut in 1/4" dice
5/8 Cup Apple Juice, or pear nectar
1/2 Teaspoon Cornstarch
2 Tablespoons Brandy
1 Tablespoon Green Peppercorns, in brine, drained and crushed lightly
1 Tablespoon Demi Glace, veal or duck
1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
Thyme Sprigs for Garnish
- Score the skin on the duck breast with a small, sharp knife, in a 1/2-inch crosshatch pattern. Be sure to cut well into the fat directly underneath the skin, but not all the way to the flesh.
- Season each side with salt and pepper.
- Marinate duck breast overnight in red wine and garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a 12-inch heavy oven-proof skillet over high heat until very hot.
- Pat breasts dry and season with salt.
- Put breasts, skin sides down, in skillet and cook breasts 4 minutes, or until skin is crisp and mahogany-colored, removing fat from skillet as it is rendered with a metal bulb baster (or very carefully pouring it off). Reserve the fat for another use--it's gold!
- Turn breasts and cook about 4 minutes.
- Put skillet in oven for 8 minutes.
- Transfer breasts to a plate and keep warm, covered loosely, and let rest for 8 minutes.
- Pour off all but about 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and sauté pear until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Stir together apple juice and cornstarch.
- Add brandy to pear, then stir in cornstarch mixture, peppercorns, demi-glace, balsamic vinegar, and thyme and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve duck breast, sliced thin on the bias, with sauce spooned over and garnish with thyme sprigs.
- Carré Salt KeepersAs low as $24.99
- Kyocera Perfect Peeler$14.95
- HeatTHAT! Serving PiecesAs low as $39.99
- RSVP Garlic Cube$15.99
- Norpro Big Mouth Chopper$44.90
- fusionbrands HerbZipperAs low as $6.95
- Cuisipro PeelersAs low as $17.99
- Stainless Steel Serving TongsAs low as $14.99
- Rösle One-handed Locking TongsAs low as $31.99
- Vineyard Table Serving PiecesAs low as $14.30
- Norpro Polypropylene Cutting BoardsAs low as $9.99
- Charles Viancin All Silicone Cutting BoardsAs low as $24.99
- Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker$14.99
- Tovolo Dripless Baster$13.00
- Kyocera Advanced Ceramic KnivesAs low as $19.95