This is Kennedy's family recipe, passed down from generation to generation--it's really spoon eggnog. His is on the right. I used the same recipe, but didn't whip the heavy cream, to produce the drinkable version on the left. Take your pick and have a wonderful Holiday!
1/2 Cup Sugar, divided
1 Cup Bourbon
2 Pints Whipping Cream
1 Cup Half and Half, optional
Nutmeg, for garnish
- Separate eggs, putting yolks into largest bowl
- Beat yolks until creamy, add half the sugar slowly and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy
- Add the bourbon and beat to combine.
- [Piper’s version: add the heavy cream to the yolk & bourbon mixture and beat to combine thoroughly.]
- Beat egg whites separately until they hold soft peaks, add the other half of the sugar slowly and continue to beat until they hold stiff peaks.
- Fold whites into yolk mix, very gently, until thoroughly combined--DO NOT BEAT.
- [Kennedy's version: whip heavy cream separately until you get soft peaks, then fold whipped cream into egg mixture, combining thoroughly.]
- Add more sugar and bourbon to taste, if needed.
- If you want to make it thinner, add half and half
- Serve in tumblers with a spoon (Piper: or in a glass without a spoon).
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
- Formaticum Cheese Wraps$8.95
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- Norpro Aerator Whisk$8.49
- Charles Viancin Silicone CoastersAs low as $3.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Glass Covers (XSmall Lids...As low as $9.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99
- Gefu Nutmeg Grater$34.99
- Tovolo Blender ScraperAs low as $8.99