This is our version of the wonderful chicken dish found in Steven Stolman's incomparable entertaining guide: "Confessions of a Serial Entertainer". It's quick, easy and delicious! Equally good for a week night dinner or weekend dinner party.
8 Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken Thighs
2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Cup All-purpose Flour (1/2 to 3/4)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Herbes De Provence
1 Teaspoon Biber
1 Lemon, cut in 8 pieces
10 Cloves Garlic, peeled and halved
6 Medium-size Shallots, peeled and halved
1/2 Cup Dry Vermouth
1 Chili, thinly sliced
4 Sprigs Thyme, for serving
1/2 Cup Basmati Rice
1 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Put the flour in a shallow pan, and lightly dredge the chicken in it, shaking the pieces to remove excess flour.
- Swirl the oil in a large roasting pan, and place the floured chicken in it. Season the chicken with the herbes de Provence, biber and sea salt. Arrange the lemon, garlic cloves and shallots around the chicken, spray the chicken with a little olive oil, then add the vermouth to the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven, and roast for 30 minutes, then baste it with the pan juices and add chili slices. Continue roasting for another 30-35 minutes, or until the chicken is very crisp and the meat cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking add rice and broth to the Rice&Grain Cooker and cook in the microwave at 800W (adjust the powere level if your microwave is higher than 800W) for 12 minutes. Remove from microwvae and let rest for 3 minutes.
- Serve in the pan or on a warmed platter, garnished with the thyme and orange zest.
- Serve over basmati rice