Salmon Scallops with Truffled Scrambled Eggs and Chives
We served this for an auction lunch that we gave, and it was a big hit--impressive without a lot of work.
1 1/2 Pounds Very Fresh Salmon, Preferably From the Tail
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Bunch Fresh Chives
1/4 Cup Lowfat 1% Milk
1 Tablespoon Truffle Oil (or Fresh Black Truffle if You're Feeling Extravagant)
5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Slice the salmon diagonally into 6 thin slices, ~5 oz. each (the slices should be as thin and delicate as generously sliced smoked salmon). If preparing in advance, separate the salmon slices with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- About 20 mins. before serving, moisten a non-stick baking sheet with several drops of water to prevent salmon from sticking (or use a silicone sheet). Spread out the salmon slices and don't overlap, and season with salt and pepper. Preheat broiler.
- Chop 1T of chives and reserve remaining chives for garnish.
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, add milk and beat with a whisk until streaks are gone and color is pure yellow; stop beating while the bubbles are still large.
- Melt 2T butter in a skillet. Add eggs and cook over low heat, folding the eggs over until they are firm, but still creamy.
- Cut the remaining 3T butter into small pieces and stir into the eggs; stir in the chopped chives and add shaved truffles or truffle oil.
- Place the salmon under the broiler and cook until just opaque, ~2 mins. (They should be just barely cooked).
- Divide eggs among 6 warm plates. When the salmon is ready, use fish tongs to carefully lift the salmon slices onto the eggs.
- Garnish each plate with a small bunch of chives and about 5 salmon caviar eggs.
- Charles Viancin All Silicone Cutting BoardsAs low as $24.99
- Carré Salt KeepersAs low as $24.99
- Stainless Steel Serving TongsAs low as $14.99
- Cuisipro Fish Tongs$19.99
- Norpro Aerator Whisk$8.49
- KMN Home Fingermitt$14.99
- Kyocera Advanced Ceramic KnivesAs low as $19.95
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- Trudeau Mixing Bowls$29.99
- Rösle One-handed Locking TongsAs low as $31.99
- Trudeau Graviti +Plus Salt or Pepper MillSpecial Price $39.99 Regular Price $49.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- Cuisipro Silicone Wok Turner$11.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99