This is one of the great classic cocktails … made all the more popular recently by Ryan Gosling in Crazy Stupid Love … and made better by serving it over an ice ball that doesn’t dilute it.
1 large Cane Sugar Cube
Colbrook Kitchen Bespoke Aromatic Bitters - drop by drop onto the sugar cube until it is saturated, and then 2-5 more
2 Ounces Rye Whiskey (or Bourbon)
1 Ounce Soda water
1 Large Ice Ball
- In a short glass, prepare the Sugar with Bitters, and then muddle to break down the cube.
- Add whiskey and then cold soda water.
- Stir and then pour over an Ice Ball in an Old Fashioned Glass (or large Martini or Margarita glass).
- Garnish with a freshly-cut Orange Peel, squeezing the oil from the peel and wiping the rim of the glass, then stir with the peel, drop it in, and enjoy!
Flavoring note: if you like sweeter cocktails, add 1-2 Maraschino Cherries and some of the Maraschino Cherry juice, before pouring over.
A Holiday tip of the cap to the UK Bartenders Guild and my bartender pals at the London Intercontinental, for their International Guide to Drinks and their guidance!
- Colbrook Kitchen Bespoke Bitters KitAs low as $19.99
- OXO Steel Double Jigger$9.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Glass Covers (XSmall Lids...As low as $9.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone CoastersAs low as $3.99
- fusionbrands CitrusZipperAs low as $5.95