This was always one of our favorite dishes from Tra Vigne Restaurant in St. Helena, CA; Michael Chiarello, then chef and owner, was kind enough to send us the recipe.
1 Cup Lowfat (1%) Milk
1 Cup Cream
1 1/2 Ounces Pecorino Cheese, finely grated, plus a little extra for garnish
1 Cup White Bread Crumbs From a Baguette or Italian Bread, Crusts Removed
1 Pinch Salt
1 Pinch Pepper
3 Egg Yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 Ears Corn, kernels stripped
Chopped Tomatoes and Basil or Sautéed Wild Mushrooms for garnish
- Heat milk and cream just to simmering point. Add pecorino cheese and stir over low flame for 4 minutes.
- Remove and strain and press on the solids using a strainer press. Discard the cheese solids and save the strained cream liquid.
- Add the bread crumbs to the warm cream liquid; set aside to allow the crumbs to soften in the cream for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Pour the cream mixture, salt and pepper into the egg yolks and gently whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in corn.
- Pour mixture into well greased ramekins or small custard molds; set ramekins into a water bath and bake in oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. (The resting is not imperative, but helps in unmolding the Budino.)
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes and basil, or sautéed wild mushrooms and walnuts, or...
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- Mastrad Silicone BrushAs low as $9.99
- Chef'n Corn Stripper$7.99
- Carré Olive Wood SpoonsAs low as $15.00
- Progressive Nut Chopper$12.99
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- Norpro Aerator Whisk$8.49
- fusionbrands Mushroom (and other vegetables) ClothAs low as $4.99
- Formaticum Cheese Wraps$8.95
- Cuisipro 4-sided Box Grater$34.99
- Carré Salt KeepersAs low as $24.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Whisk$14.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99