This Afghani dish is the new "comfort food". It makes a satisfying, delicious and different first course.
4 Bunches Scallions, green part only, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Teaspoons Biber (or Red Pepper Flakes)
2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
40 Wonton Wrappers
2 Cups 2% Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
1 Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 Pound Ground Beef
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
2 Teaspoons Diced or Grated Fresh Ginger
1 Cup Water
4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 Teaspoons Salt
2 Teaspoons Pepper
4 Teaspoons Fresh Mint Chiffonade
- Make the dumplings: Combine the chopped scallions, salt, pepper, biber and garlic in a bowl. Toss to mix.
- Lay a wonton wrapper on a flat surface and brush the edges with water. Spoon 1t of the scallion mixture into the center, fold the wrapper in half, and press the edges to make a semi-circle or a triangle. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- Make the yogurt sauce: Blend the yogurt, garlic and salt in a bowl, and set it aside.
- Make the meat sauce: Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until golden. Add the beef, garlic, coriander, and ginger, and cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer red, ~3 mins.
- Add the water and cook, stirring often, until it is reduced by half, ~5 mins.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for ~5 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 3 qts salted water in a 6-8 qt pot. When it is boiling, add the filled dumplings and cook for ~5 mins. Drain
- Assemble the dish: Spoon 1/4C yogurt sauce into a serving dish and cover with the dumplings. Spoon remaining yogurt sauce on top and sprinkle with mint. Spoon the meat sauce all around and serve at once.
Use very fresh garlic or blanch it for a minute in boiling water first before mincing.
- Oxo Measuring BeakersAs low as $9.99
- The Cheese KnifeAs low as $15.99
- Joseph Joseph Nest 9 Plus$49.99
- 032 AdHoc Chili MillAs low as $24.95
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- RSVP Garlic Cube$15.99
- Mastrad Silicone BrushAs low as $9.99
- Trudeau Dripless Oil (or Syrup) & Vinegar BottlesAs low as $21.99
- Charles Viancin All Silicone Cutting BoardsAs low as $16.99
- Joseph Joseph Garlic Rocker$14.99
- 015 Norpro Big Mouth Chopper$49.90
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- RSVP Onion Goggles$19.99
- RSVP Herb Scissors$9.99
- RSVP Endurance Oil Decanter$29.99
- Carré Olive Wood SpoonsAs low as $15.00
- Carré Salt KeepersAs low as $24.99
- Norpro Stainless Steel ScoopsAs low as $15.99
- Joseph Joseph TriScale$29.99
- OXO Food ScaleAs low as $49.99