Have you ever noticed that there are certain tools that can give you precision and improved results, without making you seem obsessive-compulsive. A leave-in thermometer is one of our favorite Cool Tools.
Sometimes, even when you’ve weighed your ingredients and timed your results, “your results at home may vary”! Every oven is different, and every roast has its own best cooking time. When you’re cooking a piece of meat, poultry or even fish, internal temperature is the surest way to make sure that the roast is done to your liking. Instant read thermometers can be good for this (there are some of these that we really like, but that’s for another newsletter), but if you really want to know the exact minute when your roast reaches the internal temperature you’ve targeted, there is nothing better than a probe leave-in thermometer with an alert. It takes the guesswork out of picking the moment of perfect doneness and will more than pay for itself by protecting your meals from being over-cooked.
The Oxo Digital Leave-in Thermometer is our favorite. The way this works is: you select the internal temperature you want the food to reach before you remove it from the oven (there are some helpful presets on this thermometer, but you have full freedom to set your own); you stick the probe in the thickest part of the food, away from any bone; then you close the oven door and you don’t have to think about it again until the warning alert sounds to tell you that your food is 10 degrees away from your set temperature. One additional advantage of the ‘leave-in’ feature is that you start cooking with the probe in place, so you don’t have to make multiple holes in your food to keep checking the temperature until it reaches the right point. This will preserve the beautiful crust and avoid damage to the food, including loss of internal juices.
Another real benefit is that this stores very compactly in your drawer, with the probe and cord both having their own resting spot.
- Pre-set temperatures for nine types of meat, poultry and fish
- Stainless steel housing around screen and touchpad is elegant and durable
- Large, easy-to-read LCD screen
- Digital display is angled for optimal viewing on counter
- Leave-in stainless steel probe continuously monitors internal temperatures
- Gives 10 degree warning alert and signals when desired temperature is reached
- Cord and probe nest inside base for convenient storage
- Can dually function as a thermometer and 24 hour timer
- Choose Fahrenheit or Celsius temperatures and USDA or chef-recommended settings
- Temperature range from 32 degrees to 482 degrees F (0 degrees to 250 degrees C)
- Two AAA batteries included
- Hand wash only