I first had Ricotta Pancakes at a little restaurant on Clement Street in San Francisco. They were light, airy and magical! This recipe gets very close to my exalted memory of that breakfast treat.
1/3 Cup All-purpose (gluten-free, if you like) Flour, 42 grams
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
4 Ounces Whole-milk Ricotta Cheese (you can make you own with this)
1 Large Egg, separated
3 Tablespoons Whole Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest
2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, melted
1 Large Egg White, 40 grams
1/8 Cup Sugar (xylitol works as well)
1/2-1 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl and make well in center. Add ricotta, egg yolk, milk, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla and whisk until just combined. Gently stir in melted butter.
- Using stand mixer fitted with whisk or a handheld electric beater, whip egg whites on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and whip whites to soft, billowy mounds, about 1 minute. Gradually add sugar and whip until glossy, soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer one-third of whipped egg whites to batter and whisk gently until mixture is lightened. Using rubber spatula, gently fold remaining egg whites into batter.
- Spray 1/4 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Using 1/4-cup measure or 2-ounce ladle, portion batter into pan in 3 places, leaving 2 inches between portions. Gently spread each portion into 4-inch round.
- Cook until edges are set and first side is deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Serve pancakes immediately or hold in preheated oven.
- Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining oil as needed.
An electric griddle set at 325 degrees can also be used to cook the pancakes. We prefer the flavor of whole-milk ricotta, but part-skim will work, too; avoid nonfat ricotta. Serve with honey, maple syrup, confectioners' sugar, or a fruit topping.
- Tovolo Seal 'N Store Storage$15.99
- Cooks Innovations Butter MillAs low as $14.99
- fusionbrands CitrusZipperAs low as $5.95
- KitchenIQ The Better Zester$14.99
- Tovolo Citrus Reamer$9.99
- Oxo Measuring BeakersAs low as $9.99
- fusionbrands Mushroom (and other vegetables) ClothAs low as $4.99
- Progressive Prokeeper CanistersAs low as $5.99
- Tovolo Silicone SpatulaAs low as $7.00
- Stainless Steel Serving TongsAs low as $14.99
- OXO Food ScaleAs low as $49.99
- Butterie Butter DishAs low as $12.99
- Lékué Cheese Maker$29.99
- OXO Steel Juicer/Measurer$14.99
- fusionbrands ButterEasy$4.99