Storing produce is always a challenge, and even more so when summer bounty is so available: from the garden, the farmer’s market, or even a better selection at the local market. It’s so frustrating to harvest or buy beautiful produce, only to have it go bad before you get a chance to eat it. If only there were something practical and attractive that actually worked to keep your produce fresh longer. Well, now there is…
The Progressive Prepworks Produce ProKeepers are a group of 3 different-sized produce storage containers that were awarded the 2017 International Housewares Association GIA* (Global Innovation Award) for product design for Home Organization + Storage, and they are so well-designed that they blow us away!
We used the small ProKeepers for strawberries we harvested from our garden (among the most perishable of all fruits and vegetables), and they lasted over a week. The medium ProKeepers held some cherries we bought at the store--about 2 weeks for those - and the large one we’re using for padron peppers we’re currently harvesting from our garden. Everything we’ve put in them has lasted in delicious, edible condition: well beyond our prior experience and expectations.
The Produce ProKeepers consist of 3 parts:
a bottom tray to catch any drips from washed fruits and vegetables, as well as to provide a moist environment for those things that need it,
The main compartment that has open slats on the bottom for drainage (you can wash your vegetables or fruit in them like a colander, then attach to bottom when you put them in the fridge for storage), and vents on the side that you can open or close, depending on what you’re storing, and
A lid with a silicone seal and a chart of the most popular fruits and vegetables you might store, with a guide to the best way to store them (e.g. vents open or closed, water in the tray, or not).
These are absolutely the best produce keepers we have found, and truly Cool Tools!
- Materials: ABS, polypropylene and silicone
- BPA Free
- 3 Sizes:
- 1.2 qt / 1.1L (5” x 7.75” x 3.25” / 12.7cm x 19.7cm x 8.25cm)
- 3 qt / 2.8L (7.25” x 11” x 4” / 18.4cm x 28cm x 10.16cm)
- 5.7 qt / 5.4L (7.25” x 11” x 6” / 18.4cm x 28cm x 15.24cm)
- Easily stackable by design
- Base to catch water and provide a moist environment
- Easy open and close vents
- Dishwasher Safe
*Products are evaluated on the following criteria for the GIA Awards:
- Innovation: Product presents an original concept, employs new technology or materials or offers unique functionality or benefits compared to existing products.
- Appearance: Product appearance differentiates an appealing alternative to existing products in form, color, texture or material.
- User Benefits: Product demonstrates enhanced functionality and additional user comfort, safety or convenience over existing products.
- Ecological Responsibility: Product is distinguished because of the materials or processes used in production, distribution or packaging, because of its impact on user behavior for conserving natural resources, or because of its contribution to improving social conditions.
- Market Impact and Positioning: Product offers unique price/value alternative in its market positioning.
- Tovolo Blender ScraperAs low as $8.99
- Chef'n Corn Stripper$7.99
- Kyocera Advanced Ceramic KnivesAs low as $19.95
- Progressive Zip Slicer$9.99
- Fox Run Brands Corn Crib$14.99
- 015 Norpro Big Mouth Chopper$49.90
- Gefu "Tari" Mushroom / Strawberry / Egg, etc...Special Price $39.99 Regular Price $44.99