This is the best, most delicious, most almondy cake we've ever made...and you do almost all the prep in the food processor!
2 Cups Blanched Sliced Almonds
3/4 Cup All-purpose Flour (3 3/4 ounces) (we sometimes use gluten-free flour without any noticeable difference)
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/8 Teaspoon Baking Soda
4 Large Eggs
1 1/4 Cups Sugar (8 3/4 ounces)
1 Tablespoon Grated Lemon Zest
3/4 Teaspoon Almond Extract
5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Zest (2 lemons)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Toast the almonds on a sheet pan for about 15 minutes.
- Spray the sides of a 9-inch Lékué Spring Form Pan with a little olive oil and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Pulse 1 1/2 cups almonds, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in food processor until almonds are finely ground, 5 to 10 pulses. Transfer almond mixture to bowl.
- Process eggs, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, and almond extract in now-empty processor until very pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- With processor running, add melted butter and oil in steady stream, until incorporated.
- Add almond mixture and pulse to combine, 4 to 5 pulses.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Using your fingers, combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest in small bowl until fragrant, 5 to 10 seconds. Sprinkle top of cake evenly with remaining 1/2 cup almonds followed by sugar-zest mixture. Note: I use the Herb Mincer to spread this evenly.
- Bake until center of cake is set and bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes
- We serve this with sliced strawberries that we have soaked in brandy.
- 439 KMN Home Fingermitt$14.99
- Evo Oil or Vinegar SprayerAs low as $19.99
- Gefu "Tari" Mushroom / Strawberry / Egg, etc...Special Price $39.99 Regular Price $44.99
- Tovolo Silicone SpatulaAs low as $7.00
- fusionbrands ServeItUp (Serving Pedestal)As low as $19.99
- fusionbrands PopMeasureAs low as $3.99
- Fox Run Brands Swift Sift$16.90
- Trudeau Silicone Piping Bag And QUICK System TipsAs low as $2.99
- Nuance Hot GuardSpecial Price $25.00 Regular Price $49.95
- The Cake Knife$30.00
- Tovolo Flex-Core SpatulasAs low as $12.99
- Progressive Prokeeper CanistersAs low as $5.99