These are easy, delicious, and always impressive, using a classic pâte à choux dough. Make large gougères with the leftover dough for a wonderful breakfast!
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
125 Grams Flour (~1 Cup)
1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1 Pinch Cayenne or Chipotle Powder
1 1/2 Cups Chopped Gruyère Cheese, about 1/2 pound
- Preheat oven to 375°F for small or convected bake at 400°F for large gougères.
- Combine the water, butter, salt and sugar in a medium sauce pan and heat until the butter is melted. Add the flour and stir vigorously with a flat ended silicone spoon until the dough forms a firm ball and breaks away from the edges of the pan.
- Remove the dough from the sauce pan and put into the bowl of a standing mixer. Add the dry mustard and cayenne and mix slowly to mix in the spices and cool the dough so the eggs won't curdle.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, on medium high speed. If the eggs are very large, you may not need 4, if they are small, you may need more. Use enough to make the dough firm, smooth and waxy.
- Beat in the cheese and blend thoroughly.
- Use a baking sheet covered with a non-stick Baking Mat and drop the dough by small scoopfuls, making small round mounds on the sheets. (We use the 1.5T size scoop for appetizers and the 4T size scoop for an amazing breakfast!)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for small and 30 to 35 minutes for large gougères.
- Serve the gougères warm out of the oven.
You can freeze these uncooked on a sheet pan and then keep them in a zip top bag. To cook frozen Gougères, preheat oven to 400°F, put frozen Gougères in for 5 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350°F and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Progressive Prokeeper CanistersAs low as $5.99
- KMN Home Fingermitt$14.99
- The Cheese KnifeAs low as $15.99
- Tovolo Flex-Core SpatulasAs low as $12.99
- OXO Food ScaleAs low as $49.99
- Trudeau Silicone Piping Bag And QUICK System TipsAs low as $2.99
- Cuisipro V-GratersAs low as $27.99
- COOKINA BBQ and Oven SheetsAs low as $19.99
- Charles Viancin Silicone Measuring CupsAs low as $8.00
- Joseph Joseph Duo Bake$14.99
- Capabunga Cheese VaultAs low as $28.99
- The Large Cheese Knife$21.99
- Cuisipro 4-sided Box Grater$34.99
- Cuisipro Silicone Spoon$16.49
- blomus "Knik" Trivet$13.99
- Nuance Basting BrushSpecial Price $10.00 Regular Price $19.95
- Norpro Stainless Steel ScoopsAs low as $15.99
- Joseph Joseph TriScale$29.99
- Formaticum Cheese Wraps$8.95